Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Safari/Camino, Separators & Duplicate Items (Read 23653 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Safari/Camino, Separators & Duplicate Items
Reply #15 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Jaws wrote on Dec 9th, 2009 at 10:49pm:
I just got around to trying the latest beta, and everything seems to work great now! Thanks for all your hard work on squashing those bugs.

Thanks for sticking with it.  You have well exceeded the industry-average half-life of a beta tester  Smiley
Jaws wrote on Dec 9th, 2009 at 10:49pm:
I'd like to see a preference option in Bookmacster to not export Glims-style separators to Safari if Glims is installed....they clutter up the interface too much on iPhone Safari.

Yes, I understand the problem.  The solution, however, would be to not export separators at all to Safari.  If Glims is not installed, we export five em-dashes instead of a single regular dash.  Too bad this wasn't an Import instead of Export option.  Then we could use that "Special Mapping" checkbox.  But you are correct; many people may not like those separators in Safari, for a variety of reasons.  We'll have to think of some way to squeeze in a checkbox without further angering the User Interface Police.  Plenty of room in Preferences window, but it really is a per-client thing.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jaws
Reply #14 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
I just got around to trying the latest beta, and everything seems to work great now! Thanks for all your hard work on squashing those bugs. The screencast was also very informative. A quick suggestion: I'd like to see a preference option in Bookmacster to not export Glims-style separators to Safari if Glims is installed. The reason: While I like seeing the separators in Safari with Glims, they clutter up the interface too much on iPhone Safari (since the bookmarks are synced).

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #13 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 2:03am
Print Post  
Jaws, we found several bugs that may have been involved.  They're fixed in BookMacster 0.6.0 which you can get within BookMacster as usual by clicking in the menu BookMacster ▸ Check For Update.

Also, as promised, a movie demonstrating your use case is now the first one on our BookMacster  Movies page:

http://sheepsystems.com/products/bkmx/movies/

If anything does not work as expected, please watch the movie and let us know where it departs from your usage.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Jaws wrote on Dec 3rd, 2009 at 10:33pm:
No matter what I try, I can't seem to get a clean, proper sync after adding in Safari and turning off 'clean slate.' Running with just Camino and 'clean slate' works fine.

Yes, we found a couple other bugs.  Camino separators are a bit of a pain because the Camino app doesn't think they're important enough to endow them with unique identifiers.  But we invented a workaround for that yesterday.  Stay tuned for another day or so, and you'll have BookMacster 0.6.0, and a screencast demonstrating your workflow.  We're testing for all the issues you reported.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jaws
Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Dec 1st, 2009 at 9:45pm:
Thank for the re-test, Jaws.  I retested this yesterday after reading your message, and the separators came through OK for me.  I started to make a screencast of this in action so you can compare it with what you've seen, but then discovered another bug, probably unrelated, but am working on that first.  Will be back with an answer soon.

I just retried again with the latest beta, 0.5.0, and receive the same results. Depending on the settings I use for 'Merging>Keep>Client/Bookmacster', I receive either moved separators, duplicated bookmarks, or both. No matter what I try, I can't seem to get a clean, proper sync after adding in Safari and turning off 'clean slate.' Running with just Camino and 'clean slate' works fine.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2009 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Thank for the re-test, Jaws.  I retested this yesterday after reading your message, and the separators came through OK for me.  I started to make a screencast of this in action so you can compare it with what you've seen, but then discovered another bug, probably unrelated, but am working on that first.  Will be back with an answer soon.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jaws
Reply #9 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
I just retried the workflow using the latest beta of Bookmacster (released today), and it still doesn't work properly. Separators moved around and/or disappeared when trying. Thanks.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #8 - Nov 17th, 2009 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
I just re-tested this.  While testing, I discovered two other issues.  Let me digress on those first.

Issue 1.  Re-reading one of your previous messages, this time I noted your explanation that when a new user does a Import from Bookdog with option "Combine", there may be lots of unexpected duplicate bookmarks which must be manually fixed.  Probably we should an extra question to the Import from Bookdog wizard, or maybe delete duplicates by default.  But then there's also the issue that the user has no way to specify the order of importing.  A little messy.

Issue 2.  In my previous message, the "both at once" method doesn't work because you want Clean Slate on during the Camino import (to get the separators) and off during the Safari import (to not wipe out the separators).  Unfortunately, and I was trying to avoid this, it looks like we need to have a Clean Slate checkbox in every row.  Arghh.  Looks like the Special Mapping checkbox needs to be sacrificed to make room, because that thing already has too damned many checkboxes.

Now, regarding those separators, yes upon more careful retesting I find it worked for me two days ago because I just so happened to test with separators among folders.  But when I test with separators among bookmarks, they all float to the top as you say.

Well, back to work – See ya in another day or two.  Maybe three because I'm riding my bike over to Apple in Cupertino to update my Mac Mini's main partition to Snow Leopard this morning.  Fighting with Earthlink ADSL to get a 5 GB download would definitely ruin my day, but 20 miles of bicycling will do the opposite  Smiley

Thanks for your persistence, Jaws.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jaws
Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2009 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Using 0.1.8, Bookmacster still demonstrates this bug. Notably, all of my separators move to the top of each folder they are located in. I've tried importing Camino first using "clean slate," then turning off clean slate and importing Safari. When Safari is imported, the separators move to the top. I can make a quick video to demonstrate if that would help.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2009 at 3:58am
Print Post  
This will work properly in the next release, version 0.1.7.  That is, importing from Safari will not cause separators previously imported from Camino to move to the top or bottom.

There are two ways to do these imports.  The first way is to start with an empty document (Bookmarkshelf ▸ Delete All Content if needed), list both Camino and Safari (in that order) in Import Clients, check both of their boxes, and click Import.  The second way is to activate one at a time and do two Imports, Camino first and Safari second.

Either way, during the Safari import, the Import's Clean Slate must be off.  This is per documentation – either source or destination separators are retained in accordance with Clean Slate.

One unfortunate thing I noticed about Camino while testing this is that Camino does not attach identifiers to its separators.  Therefore, if you import from a Camino document containing, say, 5 separators, with Clean Slate off, and then re-import without making any changes, the Status Bar will indicate 5 additions, 5 deletions and a number of changes.  The additions and deletions are because the 5 unidentified separators are not matched, but are instead deleted and replaced by new separators.  The changes are probably due to the positions of the surrounding items being changed as the separators are removed and then added back in.  I added this to the bug tracker and we'll see if we can think of a workaround one of these days.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2009 at 2:04am
Print Post  
The separators go to the bottom for me, not the top.  Anyhow, it's now a confirmed bug and we shall fix.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jaws
Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks! The duplication issue seems fixed with the latest build, but all separators get moved to the top of each folder after syncing with Safari. I have tried this with sorting off, and get the same result.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 7:01am
Print Post  
Jaws wrote on Nov 12th, 2009 at 10:06pm:
When running the "maintenance workflow," all of my bookmarks were duplicated and the separators got wonky (some disappeared, some moved locations).

Although I still have not checked it myself, this was probably caused by a major bug in BookMacster 0.1.5 which is fixed in BookMacster 0.1.6 which was published a few minutes ago.  Anyone using BookMacster 0.1.5, please in the menu click BookMacster ▸ Check for Update to get 0.1.6.  It was a major bug that would also cause bookmarks to be imported incorrectly.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get a chance to go through that workflow myself.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jaws
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your response! Yes, that is what I'm looking to do. Although, it seems as though there are quite a few extra steps there that could complicate things for new users. I, for one, would probably not start out Camino only with "clean slate" before adding in Safari import. Especially because on initial setup, Bookmacster asks what browser you want to import, and if a user wants to import two, they are probably going to select the two. Also, there is no option in the initial setup to select "clean slate," so new users will have to go back after that initial import and "delete all content," select "clean slate," and reimport the Camino bookmarks. It seems a little unintuitive with a lot of extra steps there.

In practice, there does appear to be some bugs. When running the "maintenance workflow," all of my bookmarks were duplicated and the separators got wonky (some disappeared, some moved locations).

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 6:14am
Print Post  
Thanks for the long story, Jaws.  As you can see, I combined your two posts into one and increased max message limit on the forum to 20K characters.

I'm going to step back and explain the way our Marketing Department thinks it should work.  Assuming that you start out with all bookmarks and separators arranged perfectly as you like them in Camino, you should first import from Camino only, with Clean Slate on.  So, you start with a perfect Bookmarkshelf which looks exactly like Camino bookmarks.  Then, check the boxes to import from Safari and export to Safari and Firefox too.  Turn off Import's Clean Slate.  Turn on the three Export Clean Slate controls.

Now, after this initial setup, your maintenance workflow is:
   (1) Import, to get any new bookmarks from Safari or Camino.
   (2) Optional – in BookMacster, do any manual reorganization such as renaming, sorting, moving, deleting, separating, re-foldering.
   (3) Export.  With Export's Clean Slate on, the bookmarks in all three browsers should now look just like what you have in BookMacster.

If things worked like that, would that be what you want?

I said if because I've reproduced some of what you described and was a little surprised.  Tomorrow, the Engineering Department is going to test that and see if it really works the way Marketing thinks it does.  Maybe there's a bug or two.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint